Bone Marrow Transplant/ Stem Cell Transplant Services
Since its inception in 2009, Shifa Bone Marrow Transplant (BMT) Program has transformed the lives of hundreds of patients and given hope to countless families through performing more than 250 transplants including Autologous, Allogeneic (fully matched and half-matched HAPLO) transplants.
Shifa BMT center has high efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filtered unit, which is managed under the supervision of Internationally trained consultants and an integrated team to provide exceptional nursing care, technical support, aphesis services, Human leukocyte antigen (HLA) typing, stem cell storage & processing, etc.
In collaboration with leading experts in the field, we are expanding horizons into new indications for transplant especially Autoimmune Diseases such as Multiple Sclerosis. From thorough initial clinical consultation, seamless coordination, counseling, pre-transplant workup, comfortable stay at BMT unit, and meticulous post-transplant care; the team is determined to provide the best possible care and service to each patient.
Or Dial 051 846 4646 from your Smartphone
- Transplant Expertise
- Process Flow
- Quick Facts
- Bone Marrow Transplant Team
- Downloadable Resources
- Offering Bone Marrow Transplant Services
- Initial Consultation with BMT specialist
- Pre Transplant Workup
- Transplant Coordinator Support
- Donor Assessment
- Post Bone Marrow Transplant Care
- The BMT team has been managing most challenging cases in the region including high-risk malignancies (Leukemia, Lymphoma, Myeloma, and Germ Cell Tumors) and benign hematologic diseases (Aplastic Anemia, Thalassemia, PNH, etc.)
- Shifa BMT program is also registered with the Center for International Blood and Marrow Transplant Research(CIBMTR) in Wisconsin, USA, to report outcomes.
- The Center offers the most economical packages (PKR 2 to 2.5 million) as compared to PKR 3 to 5 million rupees (an average BMT cost in Pakistan).
- With the expansion to a pediatric arm in 2020, our aim is to increase the current number of 50 transplants a year to a maximum capacity of 100 per year.
The program is now accredited by CPSP for a Clinical Hematology Fellowship to train a new generation of physicians in Hematology and BMT. Through an updated database, outcomes of the first 100 transplants were reported in Nature Journal “Bone Marrow Transplantation”.
- Pre-Transplant Work-up & Evaluation
- Investigations & Tests
- Blood Tests
- Chest and Skeletal Survey (X-Rays)
- CT and PET Scans (if required)
- Echocardiogram & ECG
- Pulmonary Function Test
- Bone Marrow Biopsy and Aspiration
- 24hrs Urine Test
- Bone Marrow Stem Cell/ Transplant
- Harvesting of Stem Cells
- Infusion of Stem Cells
- Patient should bring all the previous medical reports with them for consultation
- Following factors are considered for Patient’s Transplant Eligibility;
- General physical condition
- Causes of illness
- Reactions to previous treatments
- Availability of the donor (Only for Allogeneic Bone Marrow Transplant)
- Bone Marrow Transplant is usually done on an inpatient basis lasting approximately;
- Autologous (03 weeks)
- Allogeneic (03 – 04 weeks)
- Patient will be admitted for at least 3-4 weeks
- Donor will be admitted for 2-3 days during the course of treatment
- It may take several months for patient’s blood cells to be regenerated to normal levels and up to two years before the patient’s immune system is fully functional