Endocrinology and Diabetes
Endocrinology involves the study of the endocrine system, bodily functions such as respiration, metabolism, excretion, and movement as well as treatment for its disorders. The endocrine system is comprised of organs and glands such as the thyroid, pituitary, and adrenal glands as well as testes, ovaries, and pancreas. They secrete vital hormones into the bloodstream which are required for critical metabolic and other bodily activities. Endocrinopathy covers the study of diseases related to the endocrine system, which are often referred to as hormonal imbalances, though both the causes are much more complex.
Poor diet, stress, smoking, polluted environment, and the general negligence of health stress the endocrine glands, causing a host of medical complications along with diabetes which leads to a further decline in health.
Shifa Department of Endocrinology and Diabetes
Endocrinology and Diabetes Department is involved in diagnosis and management of patients with diabetes, obesity, hormonal disorders, thyroid, short stature, pituitary/ adrenal/ bone disorders and metabolic syndrome both in the outpatient and inpatient areas. The department is supported by the hospital’s well-equipped laboratory and radiology where all sorts of hormonal tests are being done.
- Comprehensive patient examination and assessment, which covers medical history, previous medications, hereditary issues, any existing hormonal problems, general lifestyle, etc
- Some of the major endocrine diseases that the department deals with are diabetes and thyroid disorders
- The department provides diagnosis and management of:
- Thyroid gland diseases/ parathyroid gland disorders
- Growth disorders/ pituitary gland disorders
- Lipid abnormalities
- Disorders of male & female gland hormones
- Osteoporosis/ metabolic bone diseases
Dr. Osama Ishtiaq
MBBS, FCPS, MCPS
Dr. Muhammad Tayyab Badshah
MBBS, DABIM (USA), DABE (USA)
Dr. Umar Yousaf Raja
MBBS, MRCP (UK), MRCP- D&E (UK)
Associate Consultant Endocrinologist
Dr. Tejhmal Rehman
CCT E&IM(UK), MRCP (UK)
MRCP (E&IM), MBBS