Gastroenterology & Hepatology
Gastroenterology is the study and treatment of normal functions and diseases of the digestive system. It includes the gastrointestinal tract (GIT) starting from the oesophagus, epiglottis, pharynx, stomach, small intestine, large intestine, colon, rectum, anus, and other vital organs such as the pancreas, gallbladder, and liver.
The GI tract serves one of the most vital roles in our body, digesting and transporting the food from the stomach to the intestine, absorbing nutrients from the digested food along the way, and removing the waste products from the body. Understanding its normal physiology is essential for gastroenterologists and hepatologists in order to detect conditions such as hepatitis, irritable bowel syndrome, peptic ulcer disease, colon polyps and cancer, colitis and pancreatic diseases, etc. In essence, the study of all the normal activities, disorders, and diseases of the digestive organs are part of Gastroenterology & Hepatology.
Or Dial 051 846 4646 from your Smartphone.
Shifa Department of Gastroenterology & Hepatology
Department of Gastroenterology & Hepatology provides comprehensive services for specialized diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of liver and stomach disorders.
Our team at Shifa Gastroenterology Department consists of seasoned Gastroenterologists, Consultants, Technicians, Nurses and Pharmacists to offer patients thorough guidance about their illness and help them along their journey to recovery. The Gastroenterology department also provides consultancy to its neighbouring Liver Transplant Department, making a joint effort to provide the best possible medical treatment to its patients. Our specialists provide consultancy to pre and post-liver transplant patients.
A few of the department’s highlights are as under:
- Endoscopy Suite: The latest endoscopic technology provides the operators with a high definition image capture of procedures undertaken. An integrated reporting system supports all endoscopy investigations ensuring the highest standards of care and safety
- Endoscopic Ultrasound(EUS): EUS is a minimally invasive procedure to assess digestive (gastrointestinal) and lung diseases. A special endoscope uses high-frequency sound waves to produce detailed images of the lining and walls of your digestive tract and chest, nearby organs such as the pancreas and liver, and lymph nodes.
- ERCP Suite: A dedicated ERCP suite with all modern services and a recovery area established to cater to the increased demand and provide the best possible patient care
- Emergency GI Services: The department is providing 24/7 emergency gastroenterology services for acutely sick patients
- Esophagogastroduodenoscopy (EGD): The doctor used an endoscope to examine the oesophagus, stomach, and duodenum of the patient.
- Colonoscopy: It is an endoscopic procedure used to examine the colon and rectum of the patient.
- Flexible proctosigmoidoscopy: It is a test used for the examination of the inner lining of the rectum and lower part of the colon.
- Oesophageal dilatation (savoury): A technique used to open the narrow areas of the oesophagus.
- PEG insertion: This procedure is performed when the oral intake of food is not possible by the patient. A tube is inserted in the stomach of the patient, through the intestinal wall, this serves as a feeding tube.
- Esophageal varies band ligation (EVBL): It is a procedure performed for the treatment of oesophagal varices.
- Esophageal varies sclerotherapy: An oesophagoscope is passed in the oesophagus and a sclerosing agent is injected around the oesophagal varices.
- Diagnostic and therapeutic endoscopic retrograde Cholangiopancreatogram (ERCP): It is a procedure used to treat the conditions of the pancreatic and bile ducts.
- Removal of Stones and Dilatation of stricture of biliary/pancreatic system: Treatment options consist of surgery or endoscopic or percutaneous balloon dilation and insertion of an endoprosthesis.
Other features of the department include:
- Endoscopy Suite: Our endoscopy suit is armed with the most up to date equipment and technology according to international standards and a team of well-trained staff providing targeted care according to the patient needs
- ERCP Suit: Our ERCP suite is equipped with modern technology and services and a dedicated recovery area with round the clock staff to aid the recovery process of patients.
- Fellowship Program: Shifa International Hospital has launched a Fellowship Program in Gastroenterology, creating physicians equipped with the skills necessary to build the future of gastroenterology in Pakistan. Several physicians have already completed their training and passed the College of Physicians and Surgeons final FCPS exams.
Dr. Saeed Zamir
MBBS, DABIM, DABG
Dr. Farzana Shafqat
MBBS, FCPS (Medicine), FCPS (Gastroenterology)
Dr. Muhammad Salih
MBBS, FCPS (Medicine), FCPS (Gastroenterology)
Dr. Muhammad Naseer
Dr. Naeem Ullah
Dr. Nadeem Iqbal
Dr. Shahzad Riyaz
Dr. Fazal Manan
Associate Consultant Gastroenterologist