Pre Transplant Evaluation
Even if the Bone Marrow Transplant is the best treatment choice for the patient,it’s not necessary that you will be a candidate for transplant.The reason is, patients may have
- Previously treated with chemography
- Radiation therapy
- Or may have other existing health issues
These treatments can damage organs such as your heart, liver or kidney. The treatment you receive to prepare for transplant cause additional organ damage.Before you are approved for surgery, number of medical tests is done to evaluate the risk and benefits of patient receiving bone marrow transplant, such as
- Blood tests to determine your blood counts, liver function and kidney function, and any present or previous exposure to various infection diseases.
- These tests are also used to do Human Leukocyte Antigen (HLA) Typing.
- Chest and skeletal survey X-rays. These X-rays that special X-rays that look at your lungs and bones for diseases.
- CT and PET scans.
- Echocardiogram & ECG; measures how effectively your heart functions.
- Pulmonary Function Test; checks the condition of your lungs.
- Bone Marrow Biopsy and Aspirations; checks your marrow for disease and its quality.
- 24hrs urine test; measures kidney function.
The transplant physician will then review your information to decide if you are medically fit to undergo the Bone Marrow Transplant.